Everyone is taught from a very young age to always brush your teeth. Most of us were taught these skills using a traditional manual toothbrush. However, these days when you go to the store to purchase a toothbrush, the isles are flooded with electric toothbrush options. The question is often debated, ‘Are they better than a regular toothbrush?’ We have listed the benefits of an electric toothbrush versus a traditional toothbrush to help you make the best decision for your oral hygiene.
Benefits Of The Electric Toothbrush
- More Effective: It is best to look for an electric toothbrush that not only vibrates but for one that is also oscillating (rotating). This will help reach otherwise harder to reach places and remove more plaque than you would with a regular toothbrush.
- Timing: Patients tend to brushless per brushing session. Also, most electric toothbrushes today come with a built-in timer to ensure that you brush for at least two minutes to a session.
- Safety: Since electric toothbrushes do most of the work, you simply power on the toothbrush and let it do the brushing and cleaning for you. With a manual toothbrush, you are left to apply pressure equally during brushing. Patients often brush too hard causing damage to your gums and tooth enamel.
- Price: Yes, an electric toothbrush will cost more with the initial purchase. However, the base of the electric toothbrush can last several years, leaving patients to only need to replace the head of the toothbrush. These electric toothbrush heads are often sold in bulk and are considered inexpensive.
- Helpful If You Have Mobility Issues: Again, electric toothbrushes do most of the work for you, they are preferred and can help patients considerably for people with such mobility issues such as: Carpal Tunnel, Arthritis, and Developmental Disabilities.
The topic of which toothbrush is better; Electric vs. Manual toothbrush may continue to go on for years to come. Ultimately, the decision is up to you. Our staff at Fuller Dental would be more than happy to offer our suggestions to which style of toothbrush we prefer. We will support you no matter which decision you make, just as long as you are brushing!
Schedule A Visit
Fuller Dental in Burlington, NC strives to provide comprehensive, personalized dental care. Our dedicated team of highly trained dentists works with you to give you a smile you’ve always wanted. If you have questions regarding proper oral hygiene including utilizing an electric toothbrush in your daily routine, visit Fuller Dental. You can schedule an appointment online or call 336-290-7401 today.